Edge Config is available on all plans
An Edge Config is a global data store that enables experimentation with feature flags, A/B testing, critical redirects, and IP blocking. It enables you to read data at the edge without querying an external database or hitting upstream servers.
With Vercel's optimizations, you can read Edge Config data at negligible latency. The vast majority of your reads will complete within 15ms at P99, or as low as 0ms in some scenarios.
Edge Configs are great for data that is accessed frequently and updated infrequently. Here are some examples of storage data suitable for Edge Config:
To get started, see our quickstart.
If you'd like to know whether or not Edge Config can be integrated into your workflow, it's worth knowing the following:
- You can have one or more Edge Configs per Vercel account, depending on your plan as explained in Limits
- You can use multiple Edge Configs in one Vercel project
- Each Edge Config can be accessed by multiple Vercel projects
- Edge Configs can be scoped to different environments within projects using environment variables
- Edge Config access is secure by default. A read access token is required to read from them, and an API token is required to write to them
There are alternative solutions to Edge Config for handling A/B testing, feature flags, and IP blocking. The following table lays out how those solutions compare to Edge Config:
Edge Config vs alternatives
Added risk of downtime
Remote JSON files
Embedded JSON files
To learn about Edge Config limits and pricing, see our Edge Config limits docs.
Create and read from your Edge Config in minutes.
Read with the SDK
Read from your Edge Config at the fastest speeds.
Use the Dashboard
Manage your Edge Configs in the Vercel dashboard.
Manage with the API
Manage your Edge Configs with the Vercel API.
Edge Config Limits
Learn about the limits of Edge Configs.