Vercel KV is available on Hobby and Pro plans
Vercel KV provides durable, serverless Redis storage. It supports nearly all Redis commands, and is compatible with most Redis clients. This page outlines the limitations of Vercel KV.
Vercel KV was built in partnership with Upstash, which means many of Upstash's features are available with KV. However, there are some differences worth knowing about, including currently unsupported features.
The following is a list of Upstash features that Vercel KV does not currently support:
- Managing or creating a Vercel KV store from Upstash's web console
- Backup/Restore – Use
- Disabling TLS
- Detailed runtime metrics
- Upstash's Pro and Enterprise addons
We also do not support
redis-cli version 5, due to its lack of TLS support.
The following is a general list of limitations with Vercel KV:
- It is not possible to transfer your database between accounts or across plans
- Provisioning a KV store from the Vercel CLI is not currently supported (coming soon)
- Provisioning a KV store from the Vercel Terraform Provider is not currently supported
- Changing the primary region of a Vercel KV store is not currently supported. Instead, you must create a new store and migrate your data
ioredismodules are not supported in Edge Functions. Instead, prefer using the SDK
- There is a limit of 3,000 requests per day for users on the Hobby plan and Pro trial. When this limit is reached, requests to the database will be rate limited
- The Hobby plan has a maximum database size of 256 MB. The database will be rate limited when the maximum requests have been reached. When the maximum storage is reached, writes will fail
- Users on the Hobby plan can create 1 database. Users on the Pro plan can create 1 database as part of their plan, then up to a maximum of 5 databases (each including 5 read replicas) at an additional cost of 1.00 USD per database
The below table outlines the technical limitations of Vercel KV depending on your plan:
Max commands per second
Max request size
Max record size
Max data size
Max number of concurrent connections
Max number of daily requests
Max database size
Max daily bandwidth
KV databases owned by users on a Hobby plan will be deleted after 30 days of being idle.
If you own a KV database on a Hobby plan:
- After 30 days idle you will receive an email warning you that your database will be deleted
- 7 days after you have received this email, your idle database will be deleted
When using a read only token to connect to your KV store, you will not have access to any write commands. You will also not have access to the
Vercel KV creates a single Redis store as your primary region. Writes are routed to the primary region, then replicated to other read regions you define.
Support for replication to other regions is an additional charge. You can have up to four additional read replicas. Learn more about usage and pricing for Vercel KV.
Vercel KV is a first-party integration with Upstash, using Upstash Global Databases. You can select a single primary region, and up to four additional read replicas.
Supported regions for Vercel KV correspond to Upstash's available regions. The following regions are available for Vercel KV.
São Paulo, Brazil
Washington, D.C., USA
San Francisco, USA
We recommend selecting the same regions for your store as your Edge and Serverless Functions.
See what Redis commands we support in our Redis Compatibility docs.
When you create a Vercel KV store, a Redis store is provisioned with support for TLS
v1.3 enabled. There is no way to disable TLS for your KV store.