Vercel supports using Ruby on Rails applications with a headless architecture.
Developers enjoy the productivity of building APIs and backend logic inside Rails applications but are often looking for more modern options for their frontend like React. A headless architecture separates your frontend and backend tooling, enabling you to choose best-in-class solutions for each part of your stack.
With Vercel, you can continue using your Ruby on Rails application as an API for your frontend on Vercel, with zero-configuration support for 35+ frontend frameworks.
Vercel helps you build and deploy the fastest frontends for your Rails applications. You can deploy your site with zero configuration to the best frontend infrastructure.
- Develop: Connect to your favorite APIs, databases, and content management systems.
- Preview: Integrate with any GitHub, GitLab, or Bitbucket repository for instant continuous deployment.
- Ship: Deploy your site to every edge node worldwide for the fastest sites. Static files, Serverless and Edge Functions, and more.
You can migrate your existing domain and DNS to Vercel with zero downtime.
Vercel has been designed for incremental adoption. You can continue using your existing Ruby on Rails frontend and take over new pages on Vercel as needed. By starting small and incrementally adding more pages, you can prevent derailing feature work by avoiding a complete rewrite.****
- The first strategy is to configure your server or proxy such that, everything under a specific subpath points to Vercel For example, your existing website might be at
example.com, and you might configure your proxy such that
example.com/storeserves your new frontend on Vercel.
- The second strategy is to create your new frontend on Vercel which points to the root URL of your domain. Then, you can use
rewritesto have some subpaths to be proxied to your existing app.
If you are using Next.js, learn about incrementally adopting Next.js for more details.